The DeLonghi Magnifica appears to do it all. It brews both coffee and espresso, includes a milk steamer/frother and a conical, low-pitch burr grinder with adjustable grind fineness. The “super automatic” refers to the fact that it will brew whatever you ask it to from grinding delivery without you having to do anything other than setting the dials and pushing start.
This machine will brew two cups of coffee or espresso at the same time. It also has the flexibility to create those café style “multi-tiered” cappuccino and latte drinks with froth on top followed by the crema and two shades of coffee. Perhaps best of all, at least for some, it has a double boiler system so there is little to no waiting between preparing espresso and cappuccinos.
The manufacturing also claims that it includes several professional quality parts, such as the low-pitch burr grinder. But does it make great coffee and espresso? Definitely yes, though it does have some issues.
Features of the DeLonghi Magnifica
Compact and high-performance with excellent heat distribution for perfect espresso every time.
- Timeless reliability thanks to the stainless-steel removable double boiler so the inside can be cleaned easily
- The beans-to-brew system “guarantees” an espresso with a delicious aroma as the coffee is freshly ground
- The Magnifica includes a special “Instant Reheat” function that heats the core of the machine, ensuring it is always at the ideal temperature for espresso
- Removable water tank and bean container allows you to fill the water tank and empty the coffee grounds without moving the machine.
- All controls are at the front of the machine, from the on/off switch to the cappuccino system.
- The integrated Burr grinder saves space and allows you to set the grinding level to customize your espresso or coffee
- Coffee spigot height can be adjusted to allow for different cup sizes–from a classic espresso cup to a tall mug
- The patented cappuccino system rotates 180 degrees to allow for any size milk container.
- Magnifica’s exclusive cup tray, similar to those found in cafés, keeps cups warm before use.
- Front panel controls allow you to customize your coffee by adjusting the quantity of water and coffee to suit your taste: long or short, weak or strong.
What Others Are Saying
One of the Best Super Automatics Out There for the Price
5 our of 5 stars
I have the EAM3200, which is the previous model version. The differences are slight but noticeable to the newer. These machines are the best in class for price and performance, produce a great espresso, and are maintainable in ways that other manufacturers models are not. The coffee from the Delonghi is just as good as from Jura and even some manual models such as Expobar and Rancillo. It is very close to what you find in Italy – not quite, but for the price it is worth it. Great crema, hot temperature, rich flavor. And the best part is you can pull out the brew mechanism and clean it – VERY key. This will ensure sound operation and function for many years… -Read Entire Review
5 out of 5 stars
Now, after six years…
The machine does develop leaks… I ordered a couple of sizes of silicone O-rings and spring clips from McMaster-Carr and go in a couple of times a year to replace them. I should find a size that works better. We also had to replace the original gear-driven grinder when it wore out completely. The newer design belt driven grinder is SO MUCH quieter!! It’s worth repairing this machine is it gets older. It still makes amazing espresso and coffee… -See Complete Review
Recommendation & Pricing
First off, the Magnifica makes fantastic tasting coffee and espresso. You can experiment with almost everything to get your brew just right. However, there are a few “issues” with the machine and I put the word in quotes because things that some will see as a negative, others might see as a positive.
Yes, regular cleaning of the machine is necessary to maintain the best flavor and to minimize the need for service, but if you are serious about your coffee, so does every machine on the market. Yes, the machine will develop leaks over time. The good news? This one opens up and the double-boiler comes out so you can replace all the O-Rings that are readily available from the manufacturer. Believe me, it is really not that hard to replace these parts and I would much rather have a machine that can be maintained rather than one of the throw away jobs you can get at Wally World or the Big Red Target.
As to the control panel, no, it is not exact, but neither is making the best coffee or espresso. I personally like that it has a little “wiggle room” but some may not.
Bottom line, while there are better machines, you will not find them this complete in this price range (around $650). In addition, while I tend to like separate units, if counter space is at a premium or you want a machine that does it all automatically – the DeLonghi Magnifica Super-Automatic may be the perfect machine for you.